Transferring in Math Credit

Transfer Credit Information

“Transfer credit” refers to credit hours (“credit”) for a course taken at an accredited post-secondary institution not affiliated with the University of Connecticut (“the University”). The office of Undergraduate Admissions will do the initial evaluation of transfer credit and assign it either a UConn MATH equivalent (for courses previously reviewed by the Department of Mathematics) or generic Math credit. Depending on a student’s specific degree requirements, no further action might be required beyond this point as generic Math-Q credits can often satisfy Q-requirements.

Two Types of Transfer Credit

When an eligible course is initially transferred to UConn, the Office of Undergraduate Transfer Admissions will evaluate the course and give it a UConn equivalent:

  • Direct equivalency: transfer course comes in as an exact UConn course
  • Generic credit: transfer course does not come in as an exact UConn course
    • MATH 91050 (Precalculus Q 1000 Level - less than Calculus)*
    • MATH 91000 (Non-Q 1000 Level)
    • MATH 91101 (Calculus Q 1000 Level)*
    • MATH 92000 (Non-Q 2000 Level)
    • MATH 92100 (Q 2000 Level)*
    • MATH 93000 (3000 Level)
      • *counts as "Q" credit

NOTE: Typical reasons for why a course might transfer in as generic credit include a significant amount of content differing or missing compared to the most comparable courses offered in the UConn catalog, online exams, etc.

For more information about transferring credit to UConn, please visit

Current UConn Students

*** Visit and read the Admissions' page: "Transferring Credit for Current UConn Students" HERE***

Taking a Course at a Different Institution in Connecticut:

Use the list of Transfer Course Equivalencies on the Office of Undergraduate Transfer Admissions website. Click here to view that list.
If the list does not have the course you are looking for, or if the course will be instructed online, use the Prior Course Approval Form [View Tutorial] first. Please note if you are looking to take either a Direct Equivalent or a Generic Credit math course (see differences between types of credit under the "Transfer Credit Information" tab above).

Taking a Course at an Institution Out-of-State:

Use the Prior Course Approval form on Student Admin [View Tutorial]. The Office of Undergraduate Transfer Admissions will review your request. Please note if you are looking to take either a Direct Equivalent or a Generic Credit math course (see differences between types of credit under "Transfer Credit Information" tab above).


NOTE: A Prior Course Approval request is required for all mathematics courses being instructed online or out of the country.

Non-Degree / Visiting Students

Taking a Course at a UConn :

Non-Degree/Visiting students trying to register for a MATH course at UConn may run into an enrollment error in the system saying the prerequsite(s) have not been met. This is because a majority of non-degree/vising students do not have their courses on record at UConn and never will (it's not required). For assistance with registering in MATH courses, non-degree/visiting students can e-mail the following information to

  1. Your UConn ID # (PeopleSoft # or NetID)
  2. A screenshot or PDF of your unofficial transcript that shows you have earned or are currently earning credit for the prerequisite(s)
  3. The MATH course and section number that you want to register in and confirm the campus.
    • Example: "MATH 1132Q-H10, UConn Hartford Campus"
    • If the section of the course is full, or you think it will fill up before we can get to your request, send us a few options of other sections that are still open that you would prefer.


First, make sure you have applied and been accepted to UConn as a non-degree/visiting student at

If you have questions about the Summer or Winter Intersessions, please visit

If we have no record of the course you want to use as a prerequisites as being equivalent to the courses in our Catalog, we may have to request that you send further information (like a syllabus) for us to determine equivalency.

If you think that you may matriculate to UConn at any point in the future, please remember that a final grade of a "C" (2.0) or higher is required of a transfer course in order for UConn Admissions to grant it credit.  So, please note that if you have a "C-" in a Calculus I course at your current school as use it as the prerequisite to take Calculus II at UConn and pass, you cannot go backwards to retake Calculus I for credit once you are at UConn.

Transfer Credit Restrictions

Transfer Credit Restrictions for all of the Math Majors

The majority of credits applied toward the math major must be taken through UConn, per the residence requirements for the UConn College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

No more than 49% of transfer MATH credits of 2000-level or higher can be used towards a math major. For a list of math major requirements, visit the Math Plans of Study page.

     NOTE: Transferred credits do not automatically get applied towards major requirements -- you must reach out to your academic adviser to request that transfer credit be applied towards your major.

To have a course re-evaluated as a direct equivalent or other course, students can submit a syllabus to our online form under the "Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation Information" tab below.

    NOTE: If your course is re-evaluated to a direct equivalent, it may take a few weeks for that change to reflect on your UConn transcript. If you are using that re-evaluated math course as prerequisite for enrollment into another course, please contact Rachel D'Antonio for assistance with enrollment issues.

AP Credit for Math

There are two Advanced Placement exams for mathematics: Calculus AB and Calculus BC.

AP Exam Score Direct Equivalent UConn Course Credits Earned
Calculus AB 4 or 5 MATH 1131Q 4
Calculus BC 3 MATH 1131Q 4
Calculus BC 4 or 5 MATH 1131Q and MATH 1132Q 8

Transfer students may have received AP credit for a calculus course at their previous institution. Transfer credit is evaluated from the source, so UConn will give credit based on the scores earned regardless of how any previous institutions may have evaluated the AP credit.

If you transfer in AP credit for MATH 1131Q, but you still need to earn credit for MATH 1132Q for your major, matriculated students must first pass the Math Placement Exam in order to enroll in MATH 1132Q at UConn.

For more information about transferring AP credits, refer to the Office of Undergraduate Transfer Admissions.

College Credit Taken in High School

Some students take college-level courses and earn college credit while still being a high school student. Any students seeking a course equivalency re-evaluation of those math credits, please read below:

  • If you participated in a high school-college partnership program where you earned college-level credit a for a course instructed in your high school by a high school teacher, you will need to submit the college syllabus for this course for re-evaluation, not the high school syllabus. We are evaluating the college course, not the high school course. If you do not have the college syllabus for that course, please contact the math department at the college and request a copy from the semester that you took the course at your high school.
    • If you participated in UConn's Early College Experience (ECE) program at a Connecticut high school, you will automatically have all of your ECE work noted on the non-degree portion of your official UConn transcript. You can either accept or reject your UConn ECE credit from the degree portion of your official undergraduate transcript. For information about this, please visit the UConn ECE website.
  • If you earned college credit as a non-degree student by taking courses directly at that college with the college instructor while still being a high school student, please submit a copy of your syllabus from the college course.

Education Abroad

Students can have an education abroad course evaluated for UConn MATH direct equivalent credit by submitting a form via the Education Abroad Course Accreditation System.

Please refer to Education Abroad for more information about getting academic credit while abroad.

Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation Information & Form

Submission Deadlines and Evaluation Periods

Students must submit requests by the Submission Deadlines below to receive a decision by the corresponding notification deadline. Due to the volume of requests, the department reserves the right to modify the decision notification date. If so, a new decision notification date will be communicated via email to any student with a pending request. We will communicate (via e-mail) evaluation decisions to students and Transfer Admissions.

Submission Deadline (received by) Evaluation Period (at the latest)
Spring Deadline #1: First week of February Prior to March 1st
Spring Deadline #2: Last week of March Prior to May 1st
Summer Deadline: July 15th Before the Fall Semester begins
Fall Deadline #1: First week of September Prior to October 1st
Fall Deadline #2: Last week of October Prior to December 1st
Requests submitted during Winter Break will be evaluated in accordance to urgency of request.

NOTE: If your course is re-evaluated to a direct equivalent, it may take a few weeks for that change to reflect on your UConn transcript. If you are using that re-evaluated math course as prerequisite for enrollment into another course, please contact Rachel D'Antonio for assistance with enrollment issues.

Re-Evaluation Requirements

  • Fill out the Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation Form completely and accurately.
  • Attach the course syllabus, ideally from the semester it was taken or intend on taking it. It must include the instructor's name and a weekly topic listing and/or course calendar. No re-evaluation request will be completed without the submission of a syllabus. The syllabus must be in electronic form (or a scan of a paper copy), as it will be attached to the request form below.
  • Form is submitted by the deadline. If you submit the form past the submission deadline listed below, you will receive a decision by the next posting decision notification date
    • Depending on the content, some courses may need to be evaluated by another department, such as Statistics (STAT), or Computer Science & Engineering (CSE).

NOTE: This is not the form for courses taken abroad. Please use the Education Abroad Course Accreditation System.

Fill out the Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation Form here.