The mathematics education group is concerned with issues of mathematics and quantitative education, including connections with other disciplines, across the K-20 spectrum. The areas of interest of the group are divided into the following broad areas: curriculum, pedagogy, outreach, and research. We are engaged in collaborative work with colleagues from the Neag School of Education, Teachers for a New Era, The Quantitative Learning Center, and the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
Current and recent activities include:
- creating and reinvigorating courses in alignment with the latest mathematics education and technological trends; and using classrooms as laboratories to improve mathematical instruction;
- assessing the redesign of our mainstream calculus sequence
- training the TAs by providing a Math-Pedagogy course, classroom observations, teaching consultations, and advanced pedagogy workshops;
- improving peer tutoring programs for quantitative courses;
- developing and running programs for mathematical advancement of in-service teachers; and providing support for high school teachers at the UConn Early College Experience Program.